Alvin J. Golden, Shareholder
512 472 5675 | Email »
Al Golden is a shareholder of Ikard Golden Jones, P.C., and his practice is entirely estate planning and probate and trust administration. In addition, Mr. Golden serves as an expert witness and also mediates.
Mr. Golden was presented the Outstanding Probate and Trust Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010 by the Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, past member of its Board of Regents, and past Chair of its Estate and Gift Tax Committee. He is an Academician in the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law. Mr. Golden also served as President of the Texas Academy of Probate and Trust Lawyers, is past Chair for the Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and was legislative liaison for the Section for ten years. He is active in local, state and national bar activities, and a frequent CLE speaker and author, having spoken at the Heckerling Institute in Miami, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, American Federal Tax Institute, International Academy of Estate and Trust Lawyers, Notre Dame, and the NYU Institute of Federal Taxation, among others. Mr. Golden was an adjunct professor teaching Estate Planning with Retirement Benefits for the University of Miami Law School LLM in Estate Planning program.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas, 1968, J.D.
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1965, B.A.
- Distinguished Texas Probate and Trust Attorney Lifetime Achievement Award, Presented by Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified, Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1977)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Admitted 1980)
- Past Chair, Estate and Gift Tax Committee, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (1995-1998)
- Board of Regents, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (1994-2000)
- Texas State Chairman, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (1989-1994)
- Academician, International Academy of Trust and Estate Law (Admitted 1990)
- Past Chair, Council of Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Legislative Chairman, Council of Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas (1991-1997)
- Chair, Texas Academy of Probate and Trust Lawyers (2008-2009)
- Certified Public Accountant
- Best Lawyers in America, sponsored by Woodward/White publishers,(1985-present)(one of only 1,347 lawyers nationwide who have been included for 25 straight years)
- Texas Super Lawyers, sponsored by Thomson Reuters, (2003-2011), Named one of Top 50 lawyers in Central and West Texas without regard to specialty (2008-2010)
- Trained Mediator – ACTEC mediator training
- "Creditor’s Rights in IRA’s" ALI-ABA Estate Planning in Depth, June 2012
- "WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, An Introduction to the Solutions Provided and Issues Raised by the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Restoration, and Job Creation Act of 2010" Advanced Estate Planning, 2011
- "It should not be this hard: A look at trusts as beneficiaries of retirement benefits" The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fall 2010
- "Selected problems in planning with retirement benefits: Community property Issues and creditor’s rights" Heckerling 2009
- "Fiduciary Litigation and the UPIA Twins" Fiduciary Litigation, Dallas, Texas April 24-25, 2008
- "What we need are a few more acronyms: A guide to drafting beneficiary designations for retirement benefits" State Bar of Texas, October 25-26, 2007
- Appendices to "What we need are a few more acronyms: A guide to drafting beneficiary designations for retirement benefits" State Bar of Texas, October 25-26, 2007
- "Estate Planning for Retirement Benefits" June 19, 2007
- "The UPIA Twins: Are they Evil or Simply Conjoined?" Dallas Bar Association, Probate, Trusts & Estates Section, October 24, 2006
- "Trying not to render unto Caesar-Charitable gifts of retirement benefits" 2005
- "An Overview of Community Property Law: The Basic Rules for Determining the Classification of Property" ACTEC, February 14, 2005
- "Going through the drill: A brief overview of oil and gas in estates and trusts" U.S. Trust Corporation, October 22, 2002
- "To love, honor, cherish and act as a fiduciary—A frightening new component of the marital compact" Southwest Legal Foundation, Dallas, Texas May 3-4, 2001
- "An Overview of Texas Community Property Law"
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
Mr. Golden has spoken extensively in estate planning, community property law and employee benefits areas, including programs for State Bar of Texas, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, University of Notre Dame, American Law Institute-American Bar Association (ALI-ABA), American Bar Association, New York University Institute on Federal Tax, New York State Bar Estate Planning Institute, Southwestern Legal Foundation, UCLA-CEB, University of Texas, American Institute on Federal Taxation, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants. Additionally, he has published articles in Estate Planning Magazine, the ACTEC Journal, Trusts and Estates Magazine, and Texas Tech Estate Planning and Community Property Law Journal. He is an active contributor to ACTEC list serve.
Adjunct Professor, University of Miami School of Law, LLM Program in Estate Planning (2007-2009)
- President, Zachary Scott Theater Center (1969-1972)
- Chair, Austin Arts Commission (1975-1981)
- President, Paramount Theater (1985-1988)
- Austin Tomorrow Task Force
For many years, Mr. Golden has been instrumental in the legislative activities for the Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section and the Texas Academy of Probate Lawyers.
- Wife - Mary Ann Golden. Married February 5, 1966. Mary Ann has been active in and served as President of the Austin Women's Symphony League, Laguna Gloria Art Guild, and the Austin Woman's Club. She is a breast cancer survivor.
- Son - Phillip T. Golden is married and is a Director, Marketing and Products and General Counsel, Pro Star Energy Consultants, Houston, Texas.
- Pamela E. Golden is married and working for Spencer Stuart, an international executive search firm. She and her husband have one son, Calvin Dexter de Winter born March 10, 2007, and one daughter, Hazel Tyson de Winter, born March 4, 2010.